Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Art Show '11

I have been working on our art show projects a lot lately. Here's the plan for one of my schools...
Kindergarten is almost done with Eric Carle's Mr. Seahorse. I did change my procedure on this one a little bit. I'll post about how we did it when they are done so I can show student works instead of just my sample.
First grade is making paper pulp sea turtles, click here for how we're going to accomplish these.

Second grade is very excited to make paper mache sandcastles. One change I will make with the kids, is that they will paint them brown before adding the sand. I was hoping for better coverage with the sand, but the paint will camoflauge falling sand.


Third grade is making paper mache fish.

I found this adorable lesson about Hawaiian dancers on Deep Space Sparkle.


After an internet search for Hawaiian artists, I found one that I love. Heather Brown. Her paintings have a bit of a stained glass feel to them, with vibrant colors and bold outlines-sometimes black, sometimes white. If you search on YouTube, you can find some nice videos of her. I am using one that is an interview with her and one that is a slideshow of her work. One class has start this project, and is extremely excited about it.
I also have an idea for using a paper bowl, tissue paper, and fancy yarn to create jellyfish with my students with autism. Their art always has so much character, I can't wait to see them-and I haven't even made a sample yet!

2 comments:

Mrs. Hahn said...

The sea horse if beautiful!!

Mrs. Skojec said...

If the paper bowl is too hard for them, have them use a half of a paper plate and glue tissue paper strips to the underside hanging down.
It is simpler and hangs flat against the wall. I did it last year with my Kindergarten class and they loved it!